Healthy food isn’t only good for me, it’s my absolute favorite. I followed the farm-to-table trend HARD, and found some incredible recipes that made me feel good (and look good!).
Getting into cooking was a really fun experience. I didn’t know I would love coking for myself until I went on University Exchange in Melbourne, Australia. I hadn’t cooked a day in my life, and suddenly had to learn it all.
I began experimenting with more than just chicken soup and spaghetti, and was beginning to get the hang of it. I went to the farmer’s market every Sunday and Wednesday near closing time (to find the best deals) and bought whatever looked best (and was cheapest, I was a poor college student!). That’s where I discovered my love of cooking.
Now sharing with you, my dear aspiring Gordon Ramsay, some of my favorite recipes. And trust me, if I can cook, then you can too!
Today on the blog, let’s talk about lettuce wraps. A low-carb way to get all the yummy flavors of asian cuisine. An instant feel-good classic. I credit my favorite lettuce cups recipe to Damn Delicious. This lady is all sorts of brilliant, and knows her way around the kitchen! Sharing my copycat recipe below:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 head butter lettuce
FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- To make the peanut sauce, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chili garlic sauce and ginger in a small bowl. Whisk in 2-3 tablespoons water until desired consistency is reached; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground chicken, mushrooms, carrot and shallot. Cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce and fish sauce until heated through, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.
- To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style, drizzled with peanut sauce.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @harpergreylifestyle on Instagram and hashtag it #greygirlgang.